Search This Blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

We're here!!

We made it!  The drive was not that bad and the kids were great.  We took 2 days to get here and rushed in Saturday in order to make it to the housing office before it closed.  We wanted to get a house ASAP so that we could arrange for the movers to come.  When we got to the housing office our "realtor" wasn't there so someone else showed us the house they were saving for us.  It was historical and beautiful, but once inside we saw some problems.  The rooms were small, the bedrooms were one two separate floors (also very small) and the stairs were so narrow we weren't sure if our furniture would fit up them!  We did some quick looking on craigslist and went to see a beautiful old farmhouse about 4 miles from the base.  After completely falling in love with the large kitchen, bedrooms, beautiful master suite and large backyard that had horses behind it, we waited 2 days for the owner to get back to me and say they would not do a six month lease.  And to add salt to the wound, she didn't even call...she sent me a text.  So back to square 1 we went.  After looking around a little we weren't able to find a close enough house that would agree to a six month lease so we ended up at the original, historical house on base!  Dan called the movers Monday morning and they told us they couldn't bring our stuff until a week from that coming Friday!  I just about flipped out.  We stayed in the Navy Lodge for 5 nights and now we are in the house with no furniture.  Last night was our first night here.  We slept on hardwood floors.  Ouch!  That's all I have to say about that.  Thankfully, I had a bunch of fabric with me and we were able to make beds from yards of cotton and fleece, cheap walmart pillows covered with Daddy's T-shirts and some sleeping bags we happened to have along with us.
Considering it all, I'm doing very well. Normally, at this stage of a move, I would have had a couple of breakdowns where I screamed and melted down into tears, and basically threw a fit.  However, I have been so at peace.  There were about 3 hours where I was very upset with the movers, but I got over it and am fine.

We found a wonderful consignment store in a town about a half hour away.  We had been looking on craigslist for a twin bed for Ashton and we found it advertised.  We ended up coming home with 2 twin beds, a bakers rack, a coffee table, a large kitchen table and 5 chairs, a shelf and a big picture for $300 delivered.  I love a deal...i really, really love a deal.  They were the nicest people, also.  Let the girls walk all around the store and read through all the books they had for sale.  There was a hutch there I had my eye on and may have to go back and get it.  While the house isn't ideal, it sure is going to be fun to decorate.  I'm trying to take into consideration that our house is over 100 years old.  What it must have seen over all these years!

While on the way to the furniture shop we spotted a "living farm museum".  What a great place!  We went to visit and found that it is a recreation of the 1870's farm.  We saw chickens, cows and turkeys, toted water and learned all about farm life way back when.  The turkeys scared poor mareea to death.  She wouldn't even walk.  They were big, though...as tall as she was and wider.  They would all gobble at the same time and it made me laugh so hard.

We're working on getting a new library card and going to do the "mansion walk".  Yesterday we visited Ft. Adams and took a tour to learn some rich American history.  It was fascinating!  We plan to go back in June for their reenactment weekend.  Quintin is especially excited about that one!

The base is nice enough.  The thrift store has great prices.  I was able to get bowls, knives and other cooking supplies for around $4 all together.  We'll have to go there often.  It sure was crowded though.  No way a stroller would fit in there.  I managed to pull a muscle in my wrist holding too many things in my hand LOL!!  It's feeling better today though.  The commissary is only a mile away.  We can walk or drive depending on the weather and how much we need.  The prices are not as good as they were in Dahlgren though.  I'm determined to use more beans and bake my own bread to be able to keep our food budget down to $200 a week.

We appreciate all of your prayers.  I have felt them this move and so at peace! 

Gid sitting up in the new house while the boys play battleship on the floor! Who needs furniture?

We can't plant a garden in the ground so we're container gardening. Meet tomato, peppers, bell peppers and herbs :)

No comments: