Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Dan is 40!!!!!!!

Lately I've been discouraged about the house.  I can't seem to get around to all the decluttering, cleaning and putting away that needs to be done.  Like, I'm hanging out on the couch next to a pile of clean laundry.  But I really need to clean out my closet, drawers and pretty much everything in the kitchen.  Our schedule has been a mess for the past couple of weeks with company and sports.  I have loved the company and the sports, but it's making it hard to keep things going with school and all.  It feels like if I'm on top of school and meals than I'm not on top of the house. 
Today was Dan's birthday.  We had a good time.  He had to go into work in the morning for a class, but was home in time for us to go to a special lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings.  We felt really blessed that it was 80 cent wing Tuesday.  Going out to eat as a family almost never happens anymore so this was a huge treat. 
For dinner Dan cooked ribs and I made yams and asparagus.  The kids loved the ribs and practically licked the bones clean.  They thought it was great that lunch and dinner both had barbecue sauce and that they got messy.  Maybe I need to make more barbecue dishes in general.  It might help my little ones who lately don't want to eat anything I cook. 
We sang happy birthday to Dan and I accidentally sang Ashton's name.  I was so stinking tired.  But seriously...who does that?  The cool thing was that Ashton was playing the ukulele and that's why I was looking at him and said his name ;).  He's been playing a lot lately and we are loving hearing him strum away at all times of the day. 
Speaking of music, Landon and Thea are doing terrific on the cello.  I have been able to play duets with both of them and it is so fun and just fills my heart with joy.  Landon told me today he wants to learn Eternal Father to play at our anniversary since we sang it at our wedding.  What a sweet thing to say.  I'm considering getting another music stand so it will be easier for us to play together.  Thea seems to like playing a little more than Landon...OK, a lot, but Landon likes it, too and is very excited to go to lessons each week.  Our teacher is moving to Germany in April so I am praying that another teacher (who is also awesome and affordable) will pop up.  Hopefully on base. 
We got Dan a big basket of his favorite snacks and drinks for his birthday and made a list of "40 things we love about Daddy".  Reading through it brought tears to my eyes.  We really do have a wonderfully involved and loving Dad around here.  I remind my kids that not every dad comes home and plays with their kids, coaches their sports teams and reads them bedtime stories.  He never hangs out at bars with friends or wastes our money on ridiculous electronics.  He even wakes up early each morning to teach the kids math before he goes to school.  And then on his lunch break he makes lunch while I do cello practice with the kids.  I see him become more and more the man that God is making him as the years go by.  I am blessed and humbled by it.  

No comments: