We went to the library yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at the selection. It's a very small library, but about 1/2 of it is children's books. There were great non-fiction books and the set up allows all the children to access their level of books and still be where I can see them all. We were very excited to see that they had all 4 of the Story of the World books and Q was thrilled to see the selection of cookbooks and The Dangerous Book for Boys. St. Patrick's Day is coming up and they still had a huge selection of books on that. Normally, there would be no books left for an upcoming holiday. The librarian told us about story time on Friday's and Thea is very excited to try it out.
Last night I read another chapter of The Mission of Motherhood and it really spoke to me. Well, it kind of screamed at me and kicked me in the gut...in a good way. It's helping me to learn that serving my children (not to be confused with spoiling or indulging) is the best use of my time. This is hard for me as I often feel like I "need" to have time to sit on the computer for awhile or sew or just be quiet and alone! What I perceive as an interruption or an inconvenience is actually a chance to train or to show my children love. Much more important than laundry, a perfect house, or "me" time.
Today we had fun trying to make cookies in the toaster oven. It's a new thing and we're still trying to get it right. I used a cookie mix so I would not have to buy a bunch of ingredients, but added too much oil and they were falling apart! I tried again and burned them. Oh well, i had Dan buy several packages because I knew I'd have to try a few times to get it right. We also made edible play dough from honey, peanut butter and powdered milk. This was a lot of fun! The children played with it and then we ate it on graham crackers for lunch. Tomorrow I'm hoping to make regular play doh to have for the girls to play with in the mornings.
No comments:
Post a Comment