Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

A busy Weekend

Weekends in Newport are full of fun activities.  We enjoy a cooler summer than I'm used to and it makes getting out during the day a lot more pleasant.  Friday night Dan took the older boys and Thea to local baseball game.  I stayed at home with the babies and played with them.  It was exhausting!  I sure missed my helpers.  Quintin loved the game and we're hoping to go to as many as possible.  The tickets are $2 for Dan and $1 for the kids so it's something we can really afford and that they kids seem to really enjoy. 

Saturday we went to our first 4H fair.  We've actually never been to a fair as a family and were excited to go to this one.  It was pretty small, but the kids had fun.  Thea and Mareea were able to ride a horse.  They both chose the bigger horse of the two which I thought was funny.  Those girls have no fear!  Quintin flew to the top of the rock climbing wall the National Guard had set up and seemed a little disappointed it was so easy.  But I could see he was quite proud of himself and trying not to show it!  Gideon rode in the mei tai and kept us busy trying to keep his hat on.  We enjoyed looking at all the animals that were to be shown.  Thea loved the cows and Mareea loved the chickens.  "That chicken is sleeping.  Wake up chicken! Oh!  That chicken made a big noise!"  She cracks me up.  The boys loved the Birds of Prey exhibit where we were able to see a falcon, hawk, raven and two different types of owls.  I loved those owls.  They were just beautiful.  At one point the lady pulled back the feathers on the side of the raven's head so we could see it's ears.  I'd never seen a birds ears before and found it quite interesting. 

Saturday night we walked on base to hear the Navy Band play.  They were really good!  We got there after the main band had played and heard the show band.  We were pretty uncomfortable by the water in our shorts.  I don't know why I keep forgetting how cool it gets in the evening!  We had to leave after about five numbers, but it was late anyhow and the children were able to hear their first band concert. 

Sunday was church at "rock band church" as the kids call it.  We're having a hard time finding a church here.  It's discouraging, but we're going to try some of the churches we went to again and pray for God to give us wisdom in which to choose.  After church my wonderful husband drove us to Warwick to Chipotle.  We needed to go to Target anyway so I didn't feel so bad driving so far.  Dan went to a RI program called Gardening with the Masters which was an opportunity to visit the gardens of master gardeners in RI.  He only went to one, but he really enjoyed it.  He learned a lot about garlic and how the grocery store sprays it so it won't sprout.  GROSS!!!  LEAVE MY FOOD ALONE!  More fuel for us to want to have our own little hobby farm. 
That's about it.  I have a broken camera and a dead phone so no pictures :(  I've got to figure out something soon!!

No comments: